nafex - [NAFEX] God Bless the U of Saskatchewan

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <bnikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] God Bless the U of Saskatchewan
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:54:19 -0800

Sam's link to the story about Cathy Cox growing apples, or trying to,
commercially underscores the tremendous value of the horticulture pioneering
work being done by the University of Saskatchewan. I met Cathy and her
husband at our local apple show a couple of years back. While she lives in
Saskatchewan, just barely by a mile or so, her orchard is actually across
the border here in my home province of Alberta.

The U of Sask. has made over 40,000 apple crosses, and has selected a "top
40" and from these a "top 6". These apples are truly outstanding in taste,
and ultra hardy to boot. By ultra hardy, I mean my personal favourite,
called 18-10-32 and soon to be named and released, took -43C (that's -46F)
and didn't even have tip dieback! The taste and quality of this apple far
exceeds the normal "hardy stuff" ie Parkland, Norland, etc. and in my
opinion is comparable to the best apples grown in warm zone 5 and 6
climates. I stored some until March last year in my fridge, and they were
still good (although a bit soft by then). I truly believe a commercial
apple orchard is now possible and feasible in zone 3 and even zone 2 with
these varieties. About the only problem some of the "top 6" seem to have is
that they are too large, bigger than most apples, but I personally don't see
this as a concern.

In addition, I tasted some of the new cherries they are breeding, and wow,
ALMOST the taste of a Bing or sweet cherry (although technically a tart
cherry), and they take well into the -40s without injury. Plus the size of
a quarter. When these get going, I believe a new industry of growing
cherries in zones 3 and 2 will also be very probable.

I hold the people in the horticulture program at the U of Saskatchewan in
the highest regard, and am truly amazed by what they have accomplished with
very little funding, and mainly tenacity, hard work, and a "can do"
attitude. They work long hours, often come in on weekends because they love
their jobs, and frequently are "forced" to take vacation by the human
resources dept. which they choose to take in Dec. to March when there isn't
much to do. My hat is off to them. They are outstanding examples of human
beings, and an example for all of us, especially those in public service.
If you are ever going through Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in the summer or fall,
try to get a tour of their test plots. What you will see being developed in
a very harsh, cold climate will blow you away...