nafex - [NAFEX] Dannys Delight Fig

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Dannys Delight Fig
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:34:28 -0600

Speaking of figs, I was browsing through the Hartmanns Plant Company 2004
wholesale catalog
(http://www.hartmannsplantcompany.com/pdf/hartmann_ws_cat.pdf), and came
across this listing under figs.

"Chicago Hardy Fig - Fruits are purplish-brown with a good sweet flavor.
Plants are hardy to 10 degrees F(-12 degrees C). The plants will produce a
minimum 100 fruits with a 4 feet tall plant.

Dannys Delight Fig - A possible mutation or seedling found in Southwest
Michigan. This plant has survived temperatures -5 degrees F(-20 degrees C).
The fruits are purplish-brown with a good flavor. Plants should be tested
before planting commercially."

I think the seedling possibility can be ruled out. Sounds more like this
could be a hardier sport of Chicago Hardy. However, several figs can
survive -5 F, but only by resprouting from the protected roots. I'm curious
if the wood can survive this temperature. Does anyone know more about this
fig?

Hal
zone 6b TN