nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Apple Database

  • From: "Volkening, Tom" <volkenin@mail.lib.msu.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Apple Database
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:54:18 -0500

Tom,
The descriptors are the standard terms used to describe the fruit. The
descriptor that covers bearing is "Tree Bearing Habit". Each of bearing
habits they use to describe apples has its own code number. Tree Bearing
Habit for the Apple is listed at this URL:
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/codes.pl?115105. They give a
definition for each code number, tell you how many varieties have this code
and give an example of a variety that is assigned the code. The definitions
are short and sometimes not very descriptive sometimes.

Tom Volkening
Engineering Librarian
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824