nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Loquat Question.....

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Loquat Question.....
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:27:33 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Loquat Question.....
Loquat trees can be hardy to about zone 7, or even a bit into zone 6.  The rub is that they bloom in January and early February, so it's nearly impossible to get set.  The California Rare Fruit Growers have members who have done more with loquats than most people in NAFEX I've met, and some have varieties that bloom over a long enough period that a few blossoms manage to set even in places where loquats wouldn't be expected to fruit.  The trees are beautiful ornamentals, no matter what.
-Lon Rombough

On Feb 17, 2004, at 7:31 AM, Jim F wrote:

>      Does anyone have a source for northern grown loquat?
> Jim Fruth

I've bought grafted loquat trees from a nursery in Florida. I can give
you their name off list if you want. They have the "Oliver" variety,
and the trees that I've bought are in good shape generally upon arrival
- shipped via FedEX. I don't think they fit your requirement for
northern grown however.