nafex - [NAFEX] Transition from Sweet Cherry rootstock to Peach rootstock

  • From: Nathan Torgerson <nathantorgerson@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Transition from Sweet Cherry rootstock to Peach rootstock
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 18:36:20 -0800 (PST)

Rodney,
  Getting a peach tree to survive for 14 years in a northern area sounds like a great accomplishment even if it hasn't produced any fruit yet!  How far north do you live and what type of rootstock is your Reliance on?   I've seen good reports for Bailey rootstock for zone 5 or even 4, better from siberian c (but susceptible to nematodes), and good results from p. americana if you can tolerate the suckering (although this problem seems to vary). Some reports havea alos claimed there is a compatibility issue between p. americana rootstock and peach trees.

Nathan
a cold Minnesota zone 4a

Have the buds been freezing off or hasn't your tree even produced buds in the last 14 years?

Thanks,
Nate

Rodney Eveland <reveland@collinscom.net> wrote:
Someone always has to be the pioneer. If you have a county extension
agent where you live or even in a nearby county, I'd bet that you can
get free brochures that says sweet Cherries won't grow in your area
and there's a real good chance that pretty much everyone you meet in
your area will agree or a least say that Sweet cherries have never
been grown there. We had a fellow get a great crop of peaches here and
then all his trees died the following winter. Peaches usually die or
don't produce here. I have a 14 year old Reliance peach which has
never produced a crop. Consider yourself a pioneer. I'd pick a nice
spot with fairly decent soil that isn't in a frost pocket and go for
it. The two self pollinaters will probably produce best if you
typically have cool-insectless springs during the blooming period as
they will wind pollinate. Consider putting Emperor Francis downwind
from the other two if you have a prevailing wind. Or perhaps right
between them if the wind blows from one direction part of the day and
the opposite direction during another part of the day.
Good luck.