nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: P. americana

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: halgren@msu.edu, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: P. americana
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:28:33 -0600

My experience is limited, but here 'tis.

5 years or so ago, I bought some row-run P.americana & P.tomentosa seedlings from Henry Field or Gurney's - I'd been using some P.angustifolia(Chickasaw plum) suckers I'd rescued from the cow pasture - just because I had them. Well, P.angustifolia suckers like a house afire - the only thing I have that suckers more profusely is the Evans/Bali cherry.
Thus far, I've not seen any evidence of suckering by the P.americana or P.tomentosa. Got my mitts on some "Guthrie" (P.angustifolia) scions, and plan to topwork them onto all three species this spring, as P.angustifolia has been the ONLY reliable fruiting plum in my limited plantings.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY