nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer buster egg tonic

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer buster egg tonic
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:29:48 -0500

Hi,

I think the USDA Forestry Service just uses eggs and water.  Add a sticking agent and it should last longer.

The state of Colorado, Division of Wildlife offers this on their webpage;

"DEER REPELLENT - During the recent Hot Sulphur Days weekend, I had the opportunity to talk to members of the Reese family. They have a place outside of Golden and have numerous deer on their property. They have continually looked for a system that will keep deer away from certain plants, etc. and have finally hit upon what appears to be a good solution.  That solution is in the form of a recipe that came from a magazine. What it consists of is dissolving a beef bullion cube in two quarts of hot water. Once the water has cooled, add one beaten egg. Cover the mixture and leave it at room temperature. The liquid can then be put into a spray bottle and sprayed on the plants. Although it does appear to work as soon as you mix it, the effectiveness really increases with the aging (and smell) of the stuff. If you have need for this type of solution give it a try. Let me know how it works."
http://wildlife.state.co.us/HPP/HPPsec6.asp

Later,
Tom

Dianne Stephany wrote:

HI,We are in Zone 5/6 in Rochester NY...deer had a trail through our yard but now seem to go around it. Here is a recipe from Jerry Baker for "deer buster egg tonic" to spray on plants:2 eggs2 cloves garlic2 tbs cayenne pepper2 cups water Put all ingredients together in a blender and puree. Allow to sit for 2 days in covered container. Pour or spray over the plants to protect from deer. I haven't used this recipe, but it is similar in ingredients to "deer away".  I used 'deer away' and it did keep deer away, but also burnt and killed a downy serviceberry bush when I didn't dilute it enough. The deer away does rinse off with rain and needs to be reapplied. The deer used to prune our Emperor Francis cherry tree quite often. It lags behind the other cherry trees in growth. The other thing that we do is to cage our trees from Oct to April using 6ft garden stakes with deer netting. Of course that was a bit labor intensive and wouldn't work for most of you with acres of trees; but for our 17 baby trees it is worth it. Dianne & Gary StephanyRochester NY

_______________________________________________ nafex mailing list  nafex@lists.ibiblio.org To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be used to change other email options): http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex File attachments are NOT stripped by this list TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES! Please do not send binary files. Use plain text ONLY in emails! Message archives are here: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/nafex NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada