nafex - [NAFEX] Fire Ants and gophers.

  • From: "Ward Barnes" <ward_p_barnes@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fire Ants and gophers.
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 20:29:05 +0000

For those who are not familiar with the Fire Ant consider yourself lucky.  The ant is spreading from the south towards the northern states.  In Florida, Louisiana and other states it is a very big problem.  The ants build large mounds and spread rapidly when entering a new area.  They are called fire ants because when they bite it feels as if your that part of your body is on fire.  The burning can last from several minutes to several hours depending on your genetic make up.  After the burning sensation goes away the bite will itch for days.

I do not know what damage the ants can have on orchard trees as I did not have an orchard when I lived down south.  I can tell you that a cow will not feed in a 3 foot circle of an established nest.  There are many poison based treatments available that will slow down the spread some what.  I have found one non-poison based treatment that works.  At a military trade show some years ago I was introduced to a mobile machine that generated steam that was then forced down into the nest via a hollow steel rod.  The steam was able to kill most worker ants and more importantly killed the queen.  Many people have tried to kill the nests by pouring boiling water on the nests with some degree of success, however, if you do not kill the queen you will only slow down the nest, not kill it.

As for gophers I cannot say as I have not had that problem.  Ground hogs on the other hand I have been able to control by a fast moving piece of lead.  I prefer something in the .22 Magnum variety.

Ward Barnes, Coastal Zone 7, Wake, VA.

Find great local high-speed Internet access value at the MSN High-Speed Marketplace.

  • [NAFEX] Fire Ants and gophers., Ward Barnes, 02/04/2004