nafex - Re: [NAFEX] weeping crabs-- pruning for fruit

  • From: John Bunker <jbunker@gwi.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] weeping crabs-- pruning for fruit
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 08:55:37 -0500

> I have a Malus 'Molten Lava', apprx 6 feet tall right now. Should grow to
> be 12-15 feet tall/wide, from what I read. I still have it staked to ensure
> the height continues, as it was a bit too weepy when I purchased it
> (container, not bareroot or B&B) in 2001.
>
> Ohio State and other studies show this tree has a lot of fruit potential,
> they hang on well thru winter for returning birds, and very few mummies.
> (Plus the fruit color is phenomenal!)
>
> I know to get more fruit from regular trees, pruning is a good thing.
>
> Is that the case with weeping crabs, and if so, how and when does one know
> to start pruning?

Training Molten Lava and other weeping crabs:

Continue to stake one or more central leaders up to the desired final
height. This may take a few seasons. Cater minimal pruning to the shape
you are looking for. You may want to remove some of the lower branches over
time because they will be shaded out by the upper branches and will lose
foliage and die anyway. However, allow the tree to develop its own natural
shape by minimizing pruning. The more you prune, the more growth you'll
get. You'll end up with a twiggy mess. You can maximize fruit simply by
maximizing the amount of sun the tree receives.

I hope this helps,

John Bunker

Fedco Trees
PO Box 520