nafex - [NAFEX] Thinning Pears

  • From: Todd Ravitch <travitch@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Thinning Pears
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 05:27:56 -0800 (PST)

Hello Everyone,

Last spring I had a large amount of fruit set on a new
Bartlett Pear tree that I purchased at a local
nursery. When the fruit were about a dime or a little
less in diameter I went to thinning the fruit. I had
intended to leave only about 3 pears total. But, when
I thinned each cluster by cutting the stem of the
fruit with a scissor, I found that sap would leak out
of the stems and it also removed the sap from the
fruit that I left. The remaining fruit mummified for
lack of a better term. This fruit looked terrible as
it grew so I just pulled it off before it was a
quarter in diameter. So my question is what did I do
wrong and how exactly should I thin pears. Also are
there other major fruits that this will happen to as
well. I am new at growing fruit and read all I can
but I need additional help.

Todd Ravitch
NE Oklahoma USDA Zone 6B