nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wolfberry - Lycium barbarum

  • From: markl <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wolfberry - Lycium barbarum
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:19:56 -0500 (EST)

I germinated some Lycium chinense seed I purchased from JL Hudson last year.
They are starting their second season this year out in the garden. No fruit
yet. Here is what the catalog says...
'CHINESE WOLFBERRY', 'KUKO', 'KO-CHI'. Purple half-inch flowers June to
September, followed by attractive scarlet 1/2 - 1" long berries, August to
October. Graceful arching shrub to 12 feet, with bright green 1 1/2 - 3" oval
leaves. E. Asia. Hardy in the North, and "It is a splendid sight in autumn
gardens, when its slender branches are laden with scarlet berries."
--Yashiroda. These branches are much valued in Japanese flower-arranging.
Germinates in 1 - 4 weeks. The young leaves are eaten in salads or boiled
with rice as flavoring, and are also drunk as tea. The berries are eaten and
a medicinal wine is made from them. Leaves, root and fruit are all highly
valued in Chinese medicine, as "prolonging life, improving the complexion &
brightening the eye." --Pen Ts'ao.
-Mark Lee, Seattle, zone7B/8A

  • Re: [NAFEX] wolfberry - Lycium barbarum, markl, 01/28/2004