nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Petite Jewel Seedless grape

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Petite Jewel Seedless grape
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 05:27:15 -0600

Dean,

Feel free to get picky. It keeps the rest of us honest. Petite Jewel was
given a Uof MN # for what it's worth. I tasted it during a visit there
several years ago. The U was unsure whether to release it because the plant
threw an occasional seed.

Almost every grape produced in the MN/WI area depends on Elmer's breeding
one way or another. He is out of the hybridization business due to his
advanced age. His vinyard is being preserved for the moment and his
material is under observation. You can expect others to name products of
Elmer's breeding in the future.

Steve Herje Lone Rock, WI USDA zone 3