nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting Knife

  • From: Ray Kaminski <rjkaminski@charter.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting Knife
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:40:02 -0600

Gordon Nofs:

Believe that at one time you said you had a grafting knife you loved but somehow I lost the note on what it was. Can you repeat please?

Question? When you buy a new knife, it has a small bevel on both sides the blade. Some people sharpen and place a bevel on only one side of the blade. Assuming you are right handed and hold the knife in the right hand with the scion in the left hand. You are cutting away from your body to place a taper on the end of the scion. Would the bevel be on the side closest to the wood or the top you can see? I heard two different versions and am curious what is used among grafters that use very sharp knives. Thanks