nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grapes for No. IL

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grapes for No. IL
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:54:43 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Grapes for No. IL
Train to multiple trunks (three if possible).  That keeps the individual ones limber and you can just lay them down and let the snow cover them.  That will do the job most of the time.
-Lon Rombough

I live in zone 6/7.  For what its worth, I have a Vanessa on the back porch fence.  It got really huge, and then one winter it died,or I thought it did.  The next year there was nothing.  A year later, the vine regrew from the roots.  Apparently it was hardier than I thought.  If it had not been for my laziness in not getting it dug out, I would never had known that it was not dead, it just lost the above ground wood to the winter.  Had I been intelligent, I would have pruned it back and covered it in burlap for the winter.  I was too busy worrying about the fruit trees and ignored the grapes.