nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grapes for No. IL

  • From: JoanRRosenberg@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org (North American Fruit Explorers)
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grapes for No. IL
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:50:12 -0500

I live in zone 6/7. For what its worth, I have a Vanessa on the back porch
fence. It got really huge, and then one winter it died,or I thought it did.
The next year there was nothing. A year later, the vine regrew from the
roots. Apparently it was hardier than I thought. If it had not been for my
laziness in not getting it dug out, I would never had known that it was not
dead, it just lost the above ground wood to the winter. Had I been
intelligent, I would have pruned it back and covered it in burlap for the
winter. I was too busy worrying about the fruit trees and ignored the
grapes.