nafex - [NAFEX] Zizyphus jujuba seed

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Zizyphus jujuba seed
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:49:41 -0600

I ordered some Zizyphus jujuba seed from J L Hudson for growing my own root
stock. The "seeds" I received where actually round stones or pits typically
3-5 mm in diameter. By carefully cracking the stones open, two seeds could
be removed from each. These germinated very quickly in a damp paper towel.

The other species of Zizyphus are reported to typically have even smaller
fruit, so I can't imagine the seeds being bigger than those of Z. jujuba. I
think the absolute biggest stones I received were 7-8 mm, so if yours were
much bigger than this, then maybe there was some mix up.

Hal

> I have received 1 pound of purchased ZIZIPHUS jujube (Common Name:
Chinese Date Source: India,) resonantly. These Jujube seed that I ordered
from a reputable seed company. BUT! these seed Is much larger 3 times as
much, with a shape that I am unfamiliar with, and many of the seed is larger
than most of the fruit I have eaten.
> I Lived in Korea for 4 year and observed many ZIZIPHUS jujube
growing wild and in domesticated setting and I have never seed seed this
large. I know there is 3 species of ZIZIPHUS. One native to India and
Africa (Ziziphus Spinoza) both tropical. Has any one got and reference on
these seed so that I may know more about this type. Can these seed be used
an root stock? Will these seed be graft compatible with ZIZIPHUS jujube?
Is there a more common root stock that I have been missing.

> Clifford England

  • [NAFEX] Zizyphus jujuba seed, Hal Love, 01/22/2004