nafex - [NAFEX] Grape Cuttings

  • From: "Little Buddies Shanties" <litlbudy@whidbey.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grape Cuttings
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:43:52 -0800

I usually do my grape cuttings in summer and have had great success with them.  I love to experiment, so just yesterday I tried the dormant cuttings as described in the book "Plant Propagation, Principles and Practices" .  It states most cultivars are traditionally propagated by dormant hardwood cuttings.  Cutting material should be collected during the winter from healthy vigorous vines.  Cuttings 1/3 to 1/2 inch in diameter and 12-16 inches long.  It also states that tip portions of a shoot are usually low in stored food, that central and basal parts make better cuttings.  That may be the case in hardwood cuttings (last years growth), I used tip portions in the summer cuttings though and had great success.  The book recommends storing in well drained but moist environment (sawdust, sand or in plastic bag) for approx 3 weeks in around a 40 degree temperature.
I'm sure someone has done this with first hand experience, would have more insight on this.  Hopefully this is of interest and hopefully I did it ok, because I sure did like eating those grapes last year and would like to have some more vines.

Felicia Lowe, Camano Island, WA  zone 8

  • [NAFEX] Grape Cuttings, Little Buddies Shanties, 01/19/2004