nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hawthorn for pear

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hawthorn for pear
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:32:01 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] hawthorn for pear
Hawthorn generally works well as a pear rootstock, though some species of hawthorn are less compatible than others, in which case you might have to use an interstem, as is needed with quince rootstock.  I have Bartlett, Old Home, and Fall Butter pears on one such tree and they have been growing there for about 30 years.  Dr. Melvin Westwood even had a trial plot of C. douglasii as a semi-dwarf stock for pears, at Oregon State U.  He concluded that while the trees were good stocks, they suckered too much.  However, I've found that C. douglasii will sucker very little if you don't disturb the soil.  Mow, but don't cultivate, and they make good trees.
-Lon Rombough

Hi All,

I was talking to a neighbor who mentioned his grandfather had grafted a pear
on a red hawthorn that is in his orchard and is over 100 years old.

I'm wondering if this is possible? And do they make good rootstock? Are they
useable with apples or anything else?