nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fairfax strawberries

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fairfax strawberries
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:39:18 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] fairfax strawberries
The only thing you can root on a runner is the little crown, with the leaves.  Sometimes a runner will have more than one, with a  second runner coming out of the first, but that "crownlet" (for lack of another word) is the only thing you can grow.  The rest is just an elongated stem.

If I had a runner that was a foot long, how many cutting could I get out of that?  My strawberries send out runners that naturally root about every 1 foot.  It would be great to snip off those runners into smaller pieces and get more of my less vigorous varieties through a mist bench.