nafex - RE: [NAFEX] spring grafting; bench grafting

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] spring grafting; bench grafting
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 16:53:55 +0000

When I was learning & experimenting w/ grafting, I tried bench grafting and had 100% FAILURE, because of SEVERAL errors, I've since learned. I found that my best success was to graft in May, even into early June, with dormant scion (stored in refrig), onto rootstocks which had fully broken dormancy, and which had been planted into a nursery row at least one year ahead. I use a simple graft: one long diagonal cut on the rootstock stem, and one long diagonal cut on the scion, and an elastic wrap to join the two. And keep the nursery row watered.

tc, s.WI, rather poor sandier soil.