nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bench Grafting Apples

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bench Grafting Apples
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 17:19:05 -0600

Tom:

Apples are almost exclusively propagated via dormant (scion and rootstock)
grafting. It's about the easiest grafting you can do. Use a whip and
tongue graft and store the finished tree at about 45 degrees F for several
weeks until callus forms. Then plant while still (near) dormant.

Apples can also grafted (dormant scion) on potted rootstock that has broken
bud. Or budded (grafted using a scion of a single bud) in the spring, using
dormant wood or in mid-summer, using vegetative (not spur) buds that are
waiting to begin growth the following spring. Take your pick, but bench
grafting when both are dormant is the easiest of these. Get a good grafting
knife and read if you can't find a local teacher. A good grafter can get
near 100% takes with apples. A beginner ought to be able to approach 50%
success.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI USDA zone 3