nafex - [NAFEX] Steamed Grape Juice

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Steamed Grape Juice
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:36:56 -0500

Randall:

We also make grape jelly, in our case from Concords, and have used a steamer/juicer. The reason we stopped using it is that the steamer actually adds more water to the juice than simply heating the grapes to the boiling point. When we heat up grapes for jellymaking, we add only the tiniest amount of water to the bottom of the kettle, just as we do for applesauce. Then we heat very slowly, to avoid scorching, and the grapes themselves turn to liquid. The steamer juicer works by keeping the fruit surrounded by steam, which condenses on the fruit and runs out with the juice, resulting in substantial dilution.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

  • [NAFEX] Steamed Grape Juice, Don Yellman, 01/01/2004