nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pears for storage

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pears for storage
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 11:38:45 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Pears for storage
Chojuro stores well for me.   I have a selection of my own, named "Koyama" that is similar to Chorjuro, but stores even better.  I've had good fruit still holding in the cooler in May.
Most of the Asians store a lot longer than European pears, for that matter, if they are sound. Handle Asian pears carefully or they will develop dark streaks and marks on the skin where they are rubbed, though.   It's not spoilage, just disfiguration.

I'm looking for some Asian pears and European pears that might be good canidates for storage.   We are in zone 8 and have a root cellar that is a pretty constant 40 degrees.  One of our Asian pears is a late season, but it didn't seem to hold well in the cellar.  I'm guessing this might be typical of Asian pears, but couldn't find anything on storing Asian pears.  My storage books only talk of European pears.
Thank you for any suggestions.

Felicia