nafex - [NAFEX] Kentucky Seed Savers group

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: RuralKYIN@yahoogroups.metalab.unc.edu, nutgrowers@yahoogroups.com, nafex@lists.ibiblio.org, redherring@tnaccess.com, bmn@iglou.com, tonitime@juno.com, rhbrock@dmrtc.net
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Kentucky Seed Savers group
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:48:18 -0600

Thought this might be of interest to some of y'all.

From: BrookBarb@aol.com
Subject: New Seed Saving Group Formed

Kentucky Seed Savers; a regional group dedicated to saving and preserving the
heirlooms and sustainable agricultural practices of Kentucky and neighboring
states---particularly WV, VA, NC, TN, and MO---has just been launched after
more than a year of planning.

KSS will be a non-profit organization, similar to SSE, but with a higher
level of member service. For instance, there will be a monthly newsletter;
twice-annual get togethers; and Appalachian-area heirloom seeds provided as part of
membership.

Don't let the name fool you. Our mandate is to collect, document, and
preserve the heirloom crop plants and agricultural practices of middle-Appalachia.
There is no other group we know of focusing on this region.

The official start up date is January 1, 2004, and we have a range of
membership categories, from individual through corporate sponsor. Those who sign up
as Founding Members will automatically be placed on the Advisory Board, and
help determine KSS directions and policies.

I've been named Managing Director, and will be in charge of operations,
editing the newsletter, and so forth. Press inquiries should be directed to me as
well.

Anyone interested in KSS should contact me for membership information: Brook
Elliott, Box 519, Richmond, KY 40476, KentuckySeeds@hotmail.com.

  • [NAFEX] Kentucky Seed Savers group, Lucky Pittman, 12/17/2003