nafex - [NAFEX] Death of a porcupine

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Death of a porcupine
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 07:19:28 -0600

After 3 weeks of blind wanderings through the orchard, Mr. porcupine's nightly free for all finally came to an end.

A few days ago we put leg traps out by the trees he was doing most of the damage, and as per Bernie's recommendation, put a trap at the entrance of a culvert where have for an overflow for the dugout. The first night he somehow ate the apples covering in salt bait at the culvert without getting caught, and even left me a little fecal present to "rub my nose in it". 2 more uneventful nights of waiting in the car, gun at my side, passed by until we got some good luck yesterday. while I was at work, my wife was out for a walk, checking the traps we had set up, and lo and behold he was caught in the trap by the culvert. She briefly pondered about waiting so that I could take my revenge out on the bugger personally, but she wisely chose to dispose of him herself with the 22.

The ribbing has already started with things like "it takes a woman to do the job right", and "well, we know who the hunter in the family is", etc. But, that's ok after reviewing the total amount of damage done, I'm very relieved it is over....for now. It will be interesting to see how the trees respond to the partial girdling that was done. Hopefully, they will recover in the spring and send out suckers (these are bush cherries).

This is the 4th porcupine that we have disposed of in 3 years, and I have no doubt there will be more. We have been pondering about getting a dog, to protect the cats from the foxes, and coyotes, and to provide other security as well. We are probably getting some fowl next year to help with the grasshopper problem, as well which would need protection. While a dog probably would have had quills in the nose and everywhere, he would have reduced the damage the porcupine did.

So, a question I have to the group is: What type of dog is a good orchard dog?

Thanks all,

Dean
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
USDA zone 3