nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Question re plum rootstock

  • From: John Bunker <jbunker@gwi.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Question re plum rootstock
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:27:55 -0500

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Question re plum rootstock
Jim,

What species are you grafting onto P. americana?  I always use P. americana when grafting hybrid plums and have never had a graft break.  I do use P. cerasifera (Myrobalan) when grafting europeans.  If hardiness is a consideration, you can graft low and then bury the graft when setting out the young tree.

Regards,

John Bunker
Palermo ME zone 4

    When I graft any plum on a Prunus americana, the rootstock grows slower than the graft and so the tree breaks easily at the graft.  What is a better rootstock?  Does anyone know where to obtain/buy plum rootstock that is hardy for USDA zone 3?
Thanks,
Jim Fruth

Do you Yahoo!?
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/slv/mailtag/*http://companion.yahoo.com/>