nafex - Re: [NAFEX] foul weeding

  • From: "Kristina & Bruce" <herenorthere@lycos.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] foul weeding
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:49:24 -0500

I read something somewhere about geese being used to weed strawberry
plantings at a commercial scale. I thought it was here but, since no one
seems to have mentioned it, I must have seen it elsewhere.

The gist of it is geese are sent out into a strawberry field in some
organized fashion I can't remember. They ignore the strawberry plants if the
berries aren't ripe, but are merciless on weed seedlings and whatever else
they find. And manure the field while working (something I try to avoid
while weeding strawberries). The geese are removed from the field (a month?)
before harvest, to avoid fecal contamination. I think the geese are sent
into the fields as goslings and are later sold as Christmas dinner.

  • Re: [NAFEX] foul weeding, Kristina & Bruce, 11/17/2003