nafex - Re: [NAFEX] I forgot to mention re zone 3 black raspberry

  • From: Andrew Bell <acbell@iastate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] I forgot to mention re zone 3 black raspberry
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:59:35 -0600

At 10:06 AM 11/17/2003 -0800, you wrote:
Four important points that I forgot to mention about my zone 3 black raspberry are: 1) Yes, they do have thorns - thorns are similar to some roses.
2) Here in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota, they start to ripen in the first or second week of
July and their season lasts for 3± weeks.
3) The size of the berries generally exceeds the size of my thumbnail between ½" to
¾". They respond well to foliar feeding which yields berries of 1" or larger.
4) People often ask, "What do they taste like?" To that, we say, "If you could
compare the flavor of red raspberries to Kool Aid®, the flavor of black raspberries
might resemble that of a fine merlot.

I'll take 20 bareroot for next spring. Let me know if you want a deposit and where to send the $. Do you store in refrigeration, or in the ground?

Thanks,

-- Andrew Bell
acbell@iastate.edu