nafex - [NAFEX] White Mulberry answer.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] White Mulberry answer.
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:35:30 EST

In a message dated 11/14/2003 8:30:49 AM US Eastern Standard Time, bonfire58_2000@yahoo.com writes:

   Is the fruit of the White Mulberry (Morus alba) edible?

Yes, it is. It is reported that the species alba (white) and nigra (black) hybridize quite readly.  There is one such here (Terre Haute, IN) that I believe may be a hybrid. The ripe fruits are small, white with blue/black fringes. Very soft buy quite tasty. The birds also love it.

Illinois Everbearing is the best I've ever tasted. Large, long season, sweet/sour taste, kids love it. And once again the birds also.

Jerry Lehman

  • [NAFEX] White Mulberry answer., Jwlehman, 11/14/2003