nafex - [NAFEX] Pine Nut Seed

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pine Nut Seed
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:32:47 -0800

Title: Pine Nut Seed
Please reply to the address BELOW.

Hello all,

Is there any interest in pine nuts, more namely Pinus gerardiana. This is native to the Himalayn area and should grow in zones 8 & 9. Hortus Third says "zone 7?." The seed are in season right now in that area and have some being held for me, if I want them. Pinus gerardiana isn't listed in my copy of the importation regulations which usually means they can be brought in with an import permit, inspected and if found to be clean of insects and disease can be unconditionally released.

The shelf life of these seeds I'm told by a pine nut grower is only about 30 days. I need to act fast. I'll not go to the trouble and expense of bringing these in if nobody is interested. Is this a common pine nut species already in the US? Reciepients will need to help with the expense. I expect the total cost to be about 15 cents per seed.

Jerry Lehman
JWLehman@aol.com
812-298-8733

  • [NAFEX] Pine Nut Seed, Lon J. Rombough, 11/12/2003