nafex - Re: Clopyralid; was Re: [NAFEX] Bumper Crop/caution

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Clopyralid; was Re: [NAFEX] Bumper Crop/caution
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 16:17:07 -0600

Partially true. Grazon is also a clopyralid product, and it is still used
extensively by alfalfa, wheat and other grain farmers. Hay from such fields
is often sold at garden centers for mulch. It was such a situation where I
first learned of the damage cloyyralids can cause. Commerical composters
also have used residues from wheat fields and alfalfa hay to produce bagged
product. Clopyralids do NOT break down in the composting process. And,
they remain in the soil up to 14 months, depending on soil type and climate.
That is enough time to inhibit a fruit crop for at least one season.
Doreen Howard