nafex - Re: [NAFEX] quince rootstock

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] quince rootstock
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 08:20:15 -0600

At 08:01 AM 11/3/2003 -0500, Tom wrote:
Someone may know for sure, but it seems logical. What happens when you reverse the pear/quince
union?

Don't know, yet, Tom, but I do have a piece of Aromatnaya quince fostered onto a branch of my Clapp's Favorite pear.

Rob,
I'm not sure about dwarfing capabilities, but if you can't find quince, I've got several pears grafted onto native hawthorn (C.crus-galli) seedlings that I transplanted from the cow pasture. I would think that hawthorn seedlings would be fairly readily available, since Washington, Winter King, etc., are seeing so much use, recently as ornamental plantings.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY