nafex - Re: [NAFEX] plum tree

  • From: John Bunker <jbunker@gwi.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] plum tree
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:31:06 -0500

Title: Re: [NAFEX] plum tree
Bill and Nathan,

In most zone 5 locations where Santa Rosa would be hardy, you could plant many different Japanese plums that would be decent pollinators.  It would not be necessary to plant the much hardier hybrid varieties such as Toka, Superior, et al.

I would suggest that you take a look at catalogs that offer Japanese varieties (Prunus salicina)  and pick out one or two.  Some of the more popular ones include Abundance, Burbank, Elephant Heart, and Methley.  There are dozens of others out there.  I'm sure that various NAFEX members will have favorites.

Regards,

John Bunker
Fedco Trees
Palermo ME