nafex - [NAFEX] Banana - The whole story

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Banana - The whole story
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:05:20 -0500

Hello,

Here is a balanced story on the banana problem;

http://www.sciencenews.org/20030308/food.asp

"In the meantime, Ploetz advocates that banana
consumers get a little adventurous. U.S. markets,
particularly those with Hispanic customers, now often carry
several snack and cooking varieties. "There are all these
other bananas out there—they taste great. You should try
some," he says.

Hamill lists some of the promising ones she's seen: a
small, sweet one called Goldfingers; the Red Decca, which
has creamy insides and a red skin; and one called Pacific
Plantain, which grows to about twice the size of a typical
supermarket banana.

Is she worried about extinction of the banana? "Not really," she
says.
Banana breeding certainly is difficult, but she has 400 varieties
of the plant
in test tubes. What she sees in 10 or 20 years, she says, is not
extinction
at all, but "more diversity."

Happy eating and exploring!

Later,