nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Potted culture; dwarf citrus

  • From: "Kristina & Bruce" <herenorthere@lycos.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Potted culture; dwarf citrus
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 09:26:53 -0400

Someone said his citrus are fussy houseplants, still haven't set fruit, and
go into a state of shock when their cultural needs are not met. The problem
might be that not all citrus are equal in a pot. Calamondins are the best I
know of for northern growers. I've only grown a couple others but know
people who have tried many.

Lots of citrus will survive the indoor-outdoor cycle we force on them, but
calamondins handle it while producing lots of fruit. Mine now produces two
crops per year instead of the one bumper crop it used to produce. One spring
a couple years ago, the less than 3 ft tree had enough fruit hanging on it
for almost a gallon of marmalade. I eat too many of them now and never have
enough left over for marmalade anymore. Which is too bad because calamondins
make a spicy and fragrant marmalade. Like kumquats, the skin is sweet and
the juice is puckering.

Unlike most (all?) other citrus varieties, a calamondin doesn't go into
suspended animation if it gets cold. By the way, I'm only referring to those
that produce fruit worth producing. Mine stays out way too long in the fall
and gets exposed to a few light frosts before I get around to bringing it in.
It handles the abrupt change to warm and dry indoor conditions without
dropping a single leaf, blossom, or fruit. Other citrus aren't so forgiving.

If it gets too dry, I'll see leaves droop and will know to water it. It
perks right up. I try to keep it watered, but notice those drooping leaves
several times every summer. Like all my potted plants (not including
orchids, bog plants, etc.) the calamondin is in an extremely quick draining
mix of coir, mulchy garden soil, and lots of vermiculite. It's about equal
to what you'd get with 2/3 of a typical seed starting mix + 1/3 vermiculite.
This stuff needs frequent watering, but drains as fast as the rain can fall
and, being so airy, produces nice, healthy roots.

Bruce Wittchen
West Hartford, CT - Zone 6

Enter for a chance to win one year's supply of allergy relief!
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;6413623;3807821;f?http://mocda3.com/1/c/563632/125699/307982/307982
This offer applies to U.S. Residents Only