nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Potted culture; dwarf citrus

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: "mrtejas@lycos.com, North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Potted culture; dwarf citrus
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:27:17 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Potted culture; dwarf citrus
Bob Duncan in B.C., a member of the B.C. Fruit Testers, has gone one better.  He has a dwarf citrus orchard in the ground, inside an unheated greenhouse.  He gets quantities of citrus you wouldn't believe.  He grafts everything on P. trifoliata, but high up on the trunk.
-Lon Rombough

Your citrus dwarfing rootstock is flying dragon trifoliate.  It is only slightly dwarfing.  You can see pictures of a pink grapefruit on trifoliate(25feet) and flying dragon trifoliate(8 feet) on my web site.  Both trees are about 10 years old.  I haven't found flying dragon to be very dwarfing.  I have 4 satsuma trees that are 4 years old.  The one on flying dragon is as big as the 3 others on trifoliate.  All are about 6 feet tall.  They are in the ground outside.  Flying dragon rootstock bears excellent fruit and bears early.

I would recommend for your potted citrus a potting mix of 50% washed sand and the rest can be store bought potting mix.  I have killed many potted citrus in 100% commercial potting mix because it doesn't drain well enough.  But it sometimes rains here 6 inches in a day and 24" in a week!
SE Texas near Houston z8b/9a but 9b since 1989

http://members.fortunecity.com/pjsauber/