nafex - [NAFEX] figs discussion

  • From: "Michelle Horner" <shelly0312@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] figs discussion
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:14:26 +0000

> I tried to bring in
>some smaller Chicago Hardy for the winter, but I think I got them inside too
>late because they dropped their leaves a few days later.  Now I'm not sure
>what to do with them since they have no leaves.  Do they need a cold
>treatment outside or will they flush out now that they are warm?

>Mike

I have had similar experiece.  My little potted figs were loaded this year, but I think I waited a little too long to haul them in.  I think I'll make a note on the '04 calender to bring in at the beginning of Sept. just to protect the leaf hold--maybe even give them some supplemental lighting to try to fool that length of day/ leaf lose thing--and try to get that load of figs to ripen.  I think I'd also encourage potted fig growers to keep watering!  My learning curve maybe low, but observations over the past 5 years is that they require lots more water to bear fruit than to simply survive.  I think that is when you see the fruit lose--those are the sacrificial ones for the good of the rest and the good of the whole plant.

;Michelle zone 4/5 SE Wis

Fretting that your Hotmail account may expire because you forgot to sign in enough? Get Hotmail Extra Storage today!

  • [NAFEX] figs discussion, Michelle Horner, 10/21/2003