nafex - Re: [NAFEX] squirrels cleaning walnuts?

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] squirrels cleaning walnuts?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:58:41 -0700

> From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>

> After all, fishermen in Asia
> have been using cormorants to catch fish, so surely we could train a
> few squirrels.

I left a few 15 gallon nursery pots full of fluffy dark commercial compost
that a friend makes, at my landscaping partner's place, and a week later one
was found to contain 2 quarts of hazelnuts, with no blanks.

This was, btw, why the great basin native told the exploring US captain that
he had the good fortune to live in a rich land with lots of (pack)RATS. (to
our military man's derision and incomprehension) I forget which officer it
was. Can anybody help me there?
That indian may not have been dumb enough to work as hard as he could.

-Rick