nafex - [NAFEX] Little orange devils :)

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Little orange devils :)
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:16:50 -0400

I had read previously that the USDA had tried to introduce it
several times, but that it may have accidently come in through Louisiana.
Funny, this is the first year I've seen them attack fruit (also the first
year I had figs), but the house invasion we were having yearly has tapered
off. A few years ago I felt like I was in an Indiana Jone's movie. Here's
what the USDA has to say:

<The Multicolored Asian Lady Beetle
Information Staff
Agricultural Research Service, USDA
Beltsville, Maryland
October 30, 2000
The multicolored Asian lady beetle (Harmonia axyridis) is native to Asia but
occurs in many areas of the United States. This beneficial insect was
imported and released as early as 1916 in attempts to naturally control
certain insect pests. But the first populations were not found in this
country until 1988 in Louisiana near the busy port of New Orleans.

Over the years, federal, state and private entomologists released the insect
at a number of locations. But it was not detected in these places until some
years after it had became established in Louisiana. In addition, accidental
entries have occurred via imported nursery items at ports in Delaware and
South Carolina. Thus, it is uncertain whether the beetle's establishment
resulted from planned releases, accidental entries or both.

Source:
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/br/lbeetle/

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation

  • [NAFEX] Little orange devils :), Mauch1, 10/10/2003