nafex - [NAFEX] PawPaw Seed Germination

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] PawPaw Seed Germination
  • Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 09:37:36 -0400

One year I planted PawPaw seeds in pots and overwintered the
post set in the ground, then pulled the pots in the spring and
kept them watered on my macadam driveway (plenty of heat). I
ended up sacrificing a seed to see what was going on as
nothing seemed to be coming up.

Pawpaws send their tap root down first many weeks before the
top grows out of the soil. My seedlings didn't emerge until
July, but planted out in the fall they overwintered fine. If
I remember correctly I had a about 50% germination.

So you need to be patient and consistent in watering. You
might want to have a few 'sacrificial' pots so you can check
the status of your seeds.

I believe there are methods to improve speed and percentage of
germination, but I have not tried any.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W