nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Photos of siberian C

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Photos of siberian C
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:06:11 +0000

My, having neighbors like that would make for a serious case of zone envy!
I was given a few sib. c seeds a couple years ago by a nafexer to try. They all sprouted, froze back to snow line last winter, and have now re-grown even more prodigiously than a plum or apricot. They must have an amazing root system, which I have thought to use for root grafting.
What temperate part of Siberia do these hale from anyway?
Any imput from zone 3 folk on these as rootstocks?,
A rare fall this year, no hard frost yet, still picking autumn bliss raspberries, my wife just made a raspberry torte, wonderful! Del

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

I planted a number of Bear Creek Siberian C's here, about 20 miles southeast
of mIEKAL in the same county. They never bloomed (buds froze out) and
ultimately all froze to the ground. I took them out.

A vineyard located in high country a few miles west of me grows yellow
peaches of Michigan provenance. Nothing like being located in a cold
pocket.

Steve Herje Lone Rock, WI USDA zone 3