nafex - [NAFEX] Budagovsky 118

  • From: "Three Hills Farm" <organic@threehillsfarm.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Budagovsky 118
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 01:28:04 -0400

Hey folks. . .

I'm seriously considering having a decent sized block (400 trees) of heirloom apple trees grafted onto Bud 118 this coming Spring and would like to hear firsthand what the pros and cons may be of this rootstock relatve to the other Standard sized cold-weather rootstocks like Antanovka, Baccata, Ranetka or even P18.  I realize the trees on Bud 118 are going to be big and cold hardy.  What I'm most interested in learning about is the precocity, productivity and fruit sizes of trees grafted onto this stock.

Here's a bit of what I've been able to Google:

BUDAGOVSKY 118 (Bud 118)

"About the same vigor as MM.111, but as winter-hardy as Antonovka.  Burrknots and suckers are rare.  Productive; well-anchored."  (CUMMINS NURSERY)

"Produces a tree 90% that of standard. The vigor of Bud 118 is particularly valuable on dry, sandy orchard sites. This understock is resistant to collar rot and apple scab, and slightly susceptible to crown gall and powdery mildew. B 118 is extremely winter hardy and is recommended for replant conditions."  (C&O NURSERY)

"A vigorous, semi-dwarf rootstock that produces trees roughly the same size as those grown on EMLA 111 roots.  Bud 118 is from the same Russian program that created Budagovsky 9 (Bud 9).  It is extremely cold hardy, well anchored and works with most soils."   (VAN WELL NURSERY)

Is there anybody on the list who's had trees on Bud 118 for a number of years who'd care to share of their personal experiences with this rootstock?

Any/all feedback greatly appreciated.

John

* * * * *

John A Gasbarre