nafex - [NAFEX] Isabel

  • From: W3cmp@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Isabel
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:31:59 EDT

Hello all:
      Here near Lancaster, Pa., Isabel had a field day with the orchard.  All of the semi-dwarf trees more than 2 years old (on M7) were blown over. I guess what they say about M7 not being well anchored in clay soils is true.  About 10 dwarf trees which were all supported by 2" diameter treated poles were blown over and the poles were snapped below ground level.  A number of other dwarf trees and their support poles were tilted from the rocking action of the wind gusts enlarging the two foot deep holes.  I spent all of Friday carefully pulling the trees upright.  Fortunately the soil was still very wet. The semi-dwarf were staked with ropes and 2' long stakes; the dwarf trees received new 3" diameter poles. I will know better next spring if the trees survive.  Only one tree actually snapped off at the roots; that was an Etter's Gold on Mark.
     There was one good thing from all of this; we made applesauce from all the apples that were blown out of the trees.  Chris Patterson

  • [NAFEX] Isabel, W3cmp, 09/22/2003