nafex - Re: [NAFEX] ant bites

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] ant bites
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:28:55 -0500

Rob,
I had to giggle at the thought of you pulling off your clothes because of
the ants. After 21 years in Texas, among the fire ants, I've seen your
experience many times. It's the only place that if you see a grown man
running down the street pulling off his clothes, hollering and cussing, you
immediately know what the problem is--fire ants, not loco weed.

Seriously, I've found that ammonia dabbed on the bits works with fire ants
and others. The base neutralizes the formic acid in the ant bite. Also,
meat tenderizer that contain papaya enzymes works, too.
Doreen Howard