nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw Ripening Time

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw Ripening Time
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:59:39 -0500

At 07:43 AM 9/10/2003 -0500, you wrote:
All the Pawpaw talk has got me curious.

Does anyone know the approximate time of year I could expect to have "wild" pawpaws ripen in Central Indiana zone 5b? I've never seen them and I'd like to make a trek into the woods to check it out.

They're usually ripe here just at the end of September. I'm planning on hopping the fence behind the office today at lunch and having a look to see if any of the trees along the creek here fruited or are anywhere close to ripening. Will report back after doing so.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY