nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Elderberry seed

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Elderberry seed
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 20:49:23 -0400

Art Petrzelka wrote:

I have lots of wild elderberry seed available right now, but no named
varieties.

Many thanks, but I have my eye on some local wild bushes. I also asked my buddy Tom Henderson ( http://www.castbullet.com/hunting/th.htm ) to find some good bushes for me. He grew up eating elderberries. His stories of taking sweet, young ladies home to meet the family...and having them face Elderberry Meringue Pie would make you roll on the floor with laughter. According to Tom, there is so much pigment in the elderberries that it migrates through the meringue. It produces a complexion that Frankenstein would envy.l

I haven't had any luck with elderberry seed. I talked to one of the
Missouri fruit experts from SW Missouri State - Mountain Grove, who said
the best way to propagate was through root clippings as soon as the soil
warmed up in the spring. Softwood cuttings are mentioned second.

The internet claims that elderberries need aggressive scarification. I am contemplating using bleach. I think it will make a good Pomona article, to use different concentrations/times and record percent germination.