nafex - [NAFEX] Leftover berry pie

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Leftover berry pie
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 23:22:48 -0400

Last summer while preparing for a week of vacation, I threw a lot of blueberries (purchased during the week they were cheap) into the freezer. Also, I picked a very large number of very small red currants this summer, We put them in a bowl in the fridge, and we all nibbled at them until they started to shrivel. They still tasted fine, but they didn't look as attractive, and weren't as much fun to pop in your mouth, and somehow they've been sitting in the fridge since mid July. Yesterday I decided to use up the leftover fruit, so I made a pie.

I put a lot of blueberries in a bowl (about half domestic and half wild, or "highbush" and "lowbush" if you prefer), and added some sugar, quick-cook tapioca, and a little lemon juice. Then I started plucking the currants off their stems and adding them to the pot. . . About two tablespoons later, I decided the fruit was going to be cooked anyway, and put the rest of the currants in the microwave along with a little water. (If they hadn't already shriveled, I wouldn't have added the water.) I cooked the currants for about 1.5 minutes on high, and dumped the now-opaque fruit into a sieve, and squeezed the juice over the blueberries.

What a fantastic pie! The currants added a slightly exotic tang, without changing the fundamental nature of the blueberry pie. It basically tasted like a particularly good, expensive blueberry pie. Curiously, the flavor didn't hold up very well, and today it was only a very good pie, not a fantastic pie. (Maybe I should have refrigerated it?) But it was great.

Both blueberries and currants are easy to keep in good pie-making condition, and I will definitely try this the next time I have surplus red currants.

Ginda

  • [NAFEX] Leftover berry pie, list, 09/07/2003