nafex - [NAFEX] accelerating fig ripening

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] accelerating fig ripening
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:07:17 -0700

Ive got (for me) a huge crop of figs in containers. They are all quite green with hopefully a month left before the freeze sets in. Id like to experiment with putting oil on the bottom of them to hasten ripening. How much oil, when is the best time to apply, is a month before freeze too early? Does it affect the quality of the fruit? Last year I also picked a bunch of them green late in the season & was able to ripen them in paper bags indoors, but the flavor seemed inferior to those riped on the limb.

mIEKAL

  • [NAFEX] accelerating fig ripening, mIEKAL aND, 09/05/2003