nafex - [NAFEX] RE: Late Summer Apples--Kidd's Orange Red

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] RE: Late Summer Apples--Kidd's Orange Red
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:48:12 -0400

Andrew,
Don't know if you want production for market or home use. We're growing for
the latter.
We planted our summer apples according to Ed Fackler's recommendations, and
have been very pleased. Lots of sauce and dried apples from this year's
crop.
Started this season on June 9 with Carolina Red June.
Kidd's Orange Red is our primary August apple, following Redfree. Uneven
color and russeting, but sweet/tart balance and firmness to our liking.
Slightly susceptible to fireblight; similar to Redfree in our experience.

Richard Moyer
Zone 6, East Tenn

  • [NAFEX] RE: Late Summer Apples--Kidd's Orange Red, Moyer, Richard, 09/04/2003