nafex - [NAFEX] Early Apples

  • From: Kevin Bradley <kbradley@ttlc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Early Apples
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 19:48:55 -0500

I might add:

Chestnut Crab: Small but high quality
Novamac: Disease res Mac type, high quality.
Golden Nugget: Sugary cross between Golden Russet and Cox Orange, excellent flavor. Russet with red blush, one of the most beautiful apples I've seen,.so far in its second year of bearing and not too productive. Seems to stop growth on a standard at about 12 feet.
Spartan: We all know this one. Disease res according to some and winter hardy.
Kerr Applecrab: I think this apple is excellent for an intense apple on the tart side. Some think its too tart but if you wait til Late October its sweeter and even better. Hangs on the tree late.
Pound Sweet: Large and good tasting although the first year this bore for me it was of poor quality. I've had really good ones grown elsewhere, through Applesource.